81 TEMP LIGHT COMING ON AND OFF

Stan,
Be careful with this one.  I just found out that even though my sender works
fine, it won't go on if there is no coolant.  After I (hopefully) blew my
head gasket, fixed the leak and refilled the radiator it comes on like a
charm.
I highly recommend hooking up a real gauge.  At least temporarily until you
find out what the problem is.  Without a gauge it will be hard to tell the
effects of any change you make.  Especially since your light isn't always on
and the by the time that idiot light comes on you are in definite danger of
overheating.
If you want to check it, the sender is behind/under the a/c  compressor.
Easy to see, hard to reach.  In the archives/repair section Dick B. or some
other capable party explains how to check it.
Good luck,
Rob