68 LeBaron Carburator problems

The mechanic insists the fuel pump is the problem, but the other night, the car
was running too rich.  The idle dropped from about 750 to a very unstable 500.
Also, the car ran fine under low load and on the highway, only when
decelerating from 60 or more, the car slightly backfired (you could only hear
it when next to a wall or another car) and the mileage dropped a lot.  The
problem was partly solved (again) by disconnecting the fuel line, and letting
the engine consume all the fuel in the carb.  The problem finally disappeared
when I drove the car continuously at about 80-85 for a while.  This seems to be
again dirt blocking the carb float, but now I have two fuel filters in line.
The carb rebuilt is still under warranty by the mechanic, but I don't even know
what to ask him to do to prevent this from happening again.  Also, last week
the accelerator pump went, and the mechanic replaced it for free.

D^2, 2x68s, one with a problematic Rochester