Auto-Temp help needed

HI:
I am new to this forum.  Can anyone tell me if they have tested the vacuum check valves in a 1968 or similar Imperial Auto Temp system?  I have printed out the manuals from the Web site, and my friend (owner of the Imperial) has the shop manual.  I would like any one with personal repair experience on this system to contact me.  My friend and I have each invested 30 or more hours in his 68 Imp. and it still full of surprises and is also not working.  (Needless to say, we are not professionals at this!).

Sincerely, Dennis Martin