cam talk

>After doing some research  and talking to knowledgeable people I decided
>to go with a mild cam with a little more lift and a little more
>duration  and overlap, I'll get a little more power with the increased
>lift,(car had plenty as far as I'm concerned) but more importantly the
>longer duration and overlap of the valves will bleed off some of the
>compression. Essentially an RV cam, but if you think about it, an imperial
>is kind of like an RV (big and heavy) Mike Becker

Mike, you are absolutely right.  Engine knock tends to occur at low rpm and
heavy load, when the turbulence inside the combustion chamber is low.  A
bigger cam with more overlap will tend to "bleed off" pressure at low rpm
but breath better and higher rpm, where the higher turbulence will reduce
the tendency to knock.  Also, the bigger cam will allow you to advance the
timing more and/or run higher compression ratio.  All that at the loss of
some low end torque, especially between 1000 and 2000 rpm.  Personally, I
am willing to sacrifice some off line response for higher speed performance.
D^2