What's wrong with my small block? (long)

What's wrong with my small block? (long)

>   Dumping water from the oil filter.  Guy in Mieneke
> said you can't bypass
> the heater and therefore the pressure was too high.

He's full of it.  Many people (esp in warm climes)
bypass the heater to prevent hot air from coming into
the passenger compartment.  However, should the engine
overheat, it will prevent you from using the heater as
an auxilliary radiator to help cool the engine.

Dumping H2O from the oil filter?!?!?!?  Sounds like
the coolant and oil became intermingled...blown head
gasket at least.

> there and white smoke
> (steam?) is slowly coming out and it seems to be

While you have the heads off, I'd have a machinist
check them for trueness and cracks.  I'm also
wondering about that clunking you heard.  If the oil
was dilluted with coolant, that no doubt reduced its
lubricating abilities.  You could have spun bearings,
worn rings, etc.  Also, a loud knock (not to be
confused with lifter ticking) could be indicative of a
bad wrist pin.

Wrist pins are funny- sometimes they go quickly (after
you begin to hear the knock) and sometimes it takes
30,000 miles (evidence a friend's now-deceased
Oldsmobile).  Either way, its very messy.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."
  --Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"