82 Imp EFI won't start/run

Paul;

This may take a while, and is going to lead you into doing some research
yourself.   As a first step, though, remove the new air filter element and
reinstall the lid tightly, just to make sure you don't have an air leak
induced by a poor fitting air filter element.

Assuming this is not going to help, the next step is to carefully inspect
all the wiring and vacuum hose tubing, making sure all the harnesses are
completely plugged in with all pins and connectors intact, and that the
vacuum hose routing is exactly in compliance with the information on the
passenger inner fender sticker (it's near the hood hinge and may be quite
dirty, but it is there.)

Assuming you haven't yet found a problem, read up in the IML archives about
how to run the car with the air cleaner lid off.  Basically, you need to
fool the computer into ignoring the air flow sensor by telling it that you
are cranking to start the engine.

If you haven't been using the IML archives long, you may need to search
around a bit before finding the step by step procedure, but it is there, I'm
sure, because I wrote it.

Once you know the trick for starting the car with the lid off, have a helper
try to start it while you watch the fuel plumbing lines inside the air
cleaner assembly.   I'm guessing you will see some liquid fuel leaking from
somewhere, probably the fuel pressure switch tubing, or the nozzle assembly
valves.   This is all very simple stuff, which you can remove, disassemble
and clean with spray type carburetor cleaner, so that you get all 8 nozzles
spraying nicely.   Then put it back together and reassemble the lid etc., to
see if you've fixed anything.

If still no go, take a very close look at all the other air seals in the
whole top of engine  hardware.  Pay particular attention to the lid gasket,
and to the one beneath the hydraulic support assembly.

If you don't have the two manuals for this car, get busy on eBay or from a
literature dealer and find yourself a set, these are mandatory for
maintaining this car.

Don't give up - just listen to those of us who have fought our way through
all the sin previously committed by the unwashed in trying to get these cars
to run.  Once you have it all back to normal, you will be delighted in the
way the car starts, runs, and drives!

I doubt this is enough information to solve the whole series of complaints,
but see if you can plow through the above and report back to us.  There are
5 or 6 people on here who know a lot about these cars, and one of us will
jump in with good advice on every point.

If you don't already have one, it is a good idea to pick up a decent analog
type volt-ohmmeter.  Radio Shack has an adequate one for under $50.

As someone else has implied, 90% of the engine problems on these cars are
blamed on "that damned EFI", and when it's all said and done, about 10% of
them turn out to be actually related to its being an EFI car.

Dick Benjamin