Body manufacturers

Ionia built 4-door station wagons for Dodge in 1954 by taking the
Chrysler-built Dodge 114" wheelbase 2-door wagon and stretching it to 119"
inches and convertiing it to 4-doors.   The book, "Cars of the Fabulous
'50s" has a photo on the bottom of page 184 showing a truck load of Dodge
4-door wagon bodies ready for the drive to Detrot.  Not sure how Ionia fit
in for the 1950-52 Dodge / DeSoto / Chrysler or 1953-54 DeSoto / Chrysler
all-steel wagons, though.

As for Packard, Ionia did the Caribbean model for Packard in 1953 by taking
the Chrysler-built Packard convertible body, modifying it and finishing the
car (paint, interior, trim, etc.).   Body modifications were basically
confined to the rear quarters of the car - opening the rear wheel openings
and grafting on the taillamp housings from the larger Cavalier/Patrician
series.  The regular production convertible used the taillamps of the
smaller Clipper series.    Ionia did the same in 1954, except for the rear
wheel openings.

General Motors was, perhaps, Ionia's largest customer, as Ionia built the
station wagon bodies for Oldsmobile and Buick from the ealy 1940's into the
1960's.

Derham did a fair amount of conversion work on Chryslers during the late
1940's and into the early 1950's.  But the bodies were Briggs/Chrysler units
supplied to Derham to do their work.  I also read somewhere (can't remember
where, right now) that Derham did the interiors on the Crown Imperial
limousines.  But the completed bodies were supplied by Chrysler.  The Crown
Imperial body was shared with the long-wheelbase DeSoto and Chrysler until
1954 and the long-wheelbase Dodge until 1952.

Bill
Vancouver, BC