Firestone 721's have 1 5/8" whitewall

In a message dated 5/17/02 1:10:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, DickB@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The 2 inches seems wider than I thought the 721's were supposed to be.  I'm
wondering if these tires have been modified by some previous person, trying
to make them look like "Gansta" tires.   I thought the 721 were about 1 1/2"
wide.  If they have been painted over, I think you have every right to
demand a better set.

Mark,
As Dick indicated, the 2" width doesnt sound right.  I just looked at my 60 Eldorado that I put a set of 235/75/15 721's on in Feb of this year and the whitewall width in definitely 1 5/8",  so either they have changed the tires since Feb or somebody has messed with them.  I am very happy with mine and did a 1500 mile trip this spring and found them to ride well and they seemed very quiet.  My tire guy recommended them very highly, especially since the only other wider whitewall tires are all off-brand.  He felt very strongly that the 721 is the best way to go on the heavy cars I will have them on.

John -- 78 NYB
Atlanta