importing a 77 NYB

Hi Alan,

I bought my 1974 Imperial in Pittsburgh, PA and drove
it myself to Toronto, Ontario but it was only 350
miles. If you have enough experience (as owner and
mechanic) with the same kind of car the best way to go
there and check it yourself. Otherwise ask someone
from the list. By the way, if you have never seen the
car I advice you to go there and verify if it’s really
what you want. In any case this is WRONG-WRONG-WRONG
way to evaluate car by photos or video particularly if
you do it for the first time.
American customs:
You MUST inform American customs 3-days before you are
going to export the car from USA.
I bring my car to American customs, they grab all
documents for my car and force me to leave car for 3
day in US. So I can’t tell you exactly which documents
do you need. The better way to ask them. Good news -
price of car doesn’t concern them and all procedure
cost nothing.
Canadian customs:
        Other piece of s…
Will be better to have with you some proofs of price
which you paid for the car. If it very low price ask
current owner if he can confirm the price by phone and
show to customs officer Internet site with ad of your
car (and of course you need some kind of receipt).
They collect federal tax (8% if I’m not mistaken) and
some other dues (around 200-300CAD). If you going to
resell the car sum of dues will be more (they will
query you about if). If everything is OK and they
don’t have any additional questions it will take you
quarter an hour.
About drive the car back – To transfer ownership and
for temporary plates I was asked to bring insurance
for my car and my driver license. But the rules can be
different for each state.  Insurance policy I received
in Canada in “State Farm” company before I bought my
car, VIN this is all what they need to insure a car.
To drive the car back can become tricky task. Be
prepared to any kind of problem.
Actually this is very good adventure and I envy you
;-)

I wish you good luck!

--- "alan__harper@xxxxxxxxx" <alan__harper@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I need some advice regarding buying and importing a
> 77 NYB.  I saw it for sale on the internet.  It has
> all the features I want.
>
> I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.  That's at the
> east end of Lake Ontario, at the beginning of the
> St. Lawrence River.  The car is in Phoenix, AZ, USA.
>
> What is the best way for me to verify the condition
> of this car?  I plan to call the owner in a couple
> of hours.  He's in a different time zone.  Must I go
> all that way to view it or is there some way to get
> a good idea of condition without making that long
> trip?
>
> If I decide to purchase, what is the best way to get
> the car here?  Must I go get it in person, or can I
> get it shipped?  What are the costs involved and
> what pitfalls should I avoid?
>
> What about renting a trailer and picking it up?  Is
> that feasible?
>
> If I take public transit, so I can drive it back,
> what should I do in advance to have it plated and
> insured for the trip back?
>
> What kind of fees can I expect from Canada Customs?
> Surely, some readers are Canadian and have done
> this.  I'll call Canada Customs, for sure, but if
> you have done it, let me know what the procedure is.
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.
>
> Oh, I almost forgot.  Is anybody on the list in
> Phoenix?
>
> Alan Harper

=====
   _________