RE:could be OLD TIRES!?!?

Hugh originally wrote:
.  At 80 MPH, or so, the dinner sized plate
located behind the headlights and above the passenger front wheel  slipped
down and neatly shredded the tire.  It peeled off the tread with ease and
complete effectiveness.  The noise was awful, as was the shuddering.
John was kind enough to reply:

My reason for replying, however,  is that it sounds to me that you had an old tire seperate rather than a piece of car come loose and peel the skin off the tire.  If this is the case, you need to be concerned about a similar fate for the other three tires.  The conditions you describe are perfect for an old tire to fail -- warm temp and high speed.

And I add:

I do believe you are right.  I spoke with a very good friend of mine very late last night, and he pointed out the plate would have had to be applied with great force.  Mainly, it it had slipped, it would just have bounced around, probably doing damage at the same time.  Further, he has seen the damage such tire separation can do, and, just as you describe, it can be significant.  It ate up the whole rear of a Camaro brought into his shop, and the front fender of a Lincoln Town Car.  He is impressed that the only damage the Imperial sustained was to this plate.

So, I think I jumped to the wrong conclusion, but, as usual, kindly folks such as yourself, were able to enlighten me.  Thanks.

The tire was less than a month old on this car, but it was a used tire.  The tread looked very good.  The other front tire is also new to the car, but used.  I will need to reconsider this policy.  Thanks again for indicating I should have this concern.

Hugh