Imperials at Carlisle: Class

My thoughts on arranging the class for Imperials at
Carlisle:

In 1955, Imperial officially became a separate
division under the Chrysler Corporation.  Chrysler
Corporation thus consisted of five main Divisions:
Imperial, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, and DeSoto.  The
identity crisis often stems from the difference
between Chrysler Corporation and Chrysler Division.
Chrysler Corporation owned the Imperial Division;
Imperials were NOT, however, part of the Chrysler
Division.

Imperial remained a separate division until 1975.  I
have promotional materials from the '70s that state
"Imperial Division."  However, beginning in '71, they
started putting these little nameplates on the trunk
that said, "by Chrysler."  It still was NOT a
"Chrysler Imperial," but somehow Chrysler wanted the
car to be identified with Chrysler.  Go figure.

And here's another factor -- VIN numbers.  Some folks
argue that the fuselage Imperials are just Chryslers.
They are not.  All Chryslers of that era have VINs
that start with "C", indicating the Chrysler division.
 All Imperials have VINs beginning in "Y", indicating
the Imperial division.

There was always a high degree of difference in
quality of materials and workmanship between Imperials
and Chryslers.  I found this out firsthand a few years
ago when I helped a friend strip out a '71 New Yorker
for parts.  The New Yorker was a nice car, but the
difference in quality of materials was amazing.  And
don't even get me started on how many parts DON'T
interchange between '70s Imperials and '70s Chryslers.

So the simple answer to the question is that Imperial
was a separate make from '55 to '75.

Elijah
1965 Imperial LeBaron
(3) 1971 Imperial LeBarons (by Chrysler!)  ;o)