Clean Air Package...aka..."CAP"

Hola

Starting at about 1963 MoPar started changing the way the engine breathed old
fumes.  On the passenger side valve cover a "PCV" valve was installed that
let fumes/pressure go to the base of the carb via a rubber hose.  The old
system had a breather tube made of a pre-formed draft pipe that dumped  on
the ground.  This change was for all engines across the board.  The other
change was not across the board.  From the driver's side vallve cover the
breather cap had a fitting on the breather cap.  From the cap (the same one
that you must remove to add oil) a fitting was placed so that a hose could be
routed to the fitting that was on the snorkle of the air cleaner housing.  If
you lived in California this was a given.  If the car was to be sold out of
California the breather hose to the snorkle was not.  When the dual snorkled
air cleaner housing came out in 1967 this also applied.  Got it.

Now it is in the year of our lord....2002, and we need some parts for our
car.  As you investigate you may have found a replacement housing that has no
fitting  for the breather cap to vent to the snorkle.  In your mind you
ponder how you can pass the emmission test and still give your Imperial the
correct "look".  Go to the local Home Club (hardware) type of store and buy a
pipe fitting of the correct hose diam that has a elbo 90 degree turn.  Under
the base of the air cleaner housing drill a hole at about the 7 to 8 o'clock
area to fit the new pipe (12 o'clock is center pointing towards the front of
the car).  The pipe should be mounted to the inside of the air filter and
aimed towards the driver side fender.  If you mount the fitting to the
outside of the air filter then you will have a filter with a dirty oil spot.
Connect  the two fittings with a new piece of hose and a couple of clamps and
you too will have a CAP.  By doing it this way you will have a cleaner
running engine and the on lookers will never know that you went to the
hardware store.

                                               Rodger & Gabby

47 De Soto Custom
63 Le Baron  with dual snorkle air cleaner housing with the above CAP
66 Le Baron  with dual snorkle air cleaner housing and EOM CAP