Pie plates vs snorkels advice

Even if the air intake was directly in the front, the ram effect would be
insignificant.  Given that a radiator and a grill is upstream, there is no ram
effect due to forward speed.  The air cleaner restriction due to the flow
resistance of the snorkel is the dominant factor.  At low engine speeds is of
little significance, but at higher engine speeds, it is.  Both my 68s have a
second hole in the air cleaner (one has a snorkel, the other none doesn't) and
in both cars the improvement is small but noticeable (only at WOT).  There may
be some more improvement with an open air cleaner, but I was concerned about
the noise at part throttle.

If you do install a "forced" intake from outside the car to the snorkel via a
wide hose, the benefit is from the lower temperature rather than ram effect.
At higher speeds where the underhood flow keeps lower temperature, the effect
will diminish.

D^2