rear window fix, 1967

By some off-list request, here is some detail of my
work yesterday:

Both of my rear power windows had quit working.  I
repaired them after I got the car, but winter and
non-use saw first the right, then the left, decend
into a state of inoperation.  So, Sunday I decided to
tackle the left window.

First, disconnect the battery.  Then I removed all of
the screws on the door panel- the two behind the pull
handle, the ones hidden under the armrest door, the
little chrome clip on the front edge of the door, and
the screw under the window switch panel (you need to
remove the switch panel first- its held in place by a
single chrome screw and a clip in the front)

Next, remove the bottom panel from the door.  A thin
screwdriver or a thin crowbar will work well for
detaching the little metal clips.  Don't just yank the
panel off, or the clips will break off the chipboard-
big mess.  If the chipboard does break, you can cut a
new hole and reattach the clip- there are more holes
in the door than there are clips.  Ostensibly, in case
clips break off and you need to reposition them.  ;)

Then, remove the door handle.  Allen screw.  Nuff
said.

finally you can remove the top panel.  S/B two clips,
then it slides up and off.  Oh, and don't forget to
unscrew the door lock knob!

Once I had it all off, I lubricated the rails, every
pulley and gear I could find, and the door lock
mechanism using petroleum jelly.  I had used white
lithium grease last year but there was little trace of
that left!   Hopefully the jelly will be a bit more
permanent.  I checked all the wiring, and removed the
switch from the mounting panel.  I cleaned the chrome,
lightly lubricated the action and contacts (again,
petroleum jelly) and reattached it.  I also cleaned
the plug on the motor, put petroleum jelly inside it,
and after plugging it back together, fastened it with
a tie-wrap.

I put a dab of jelly on evey nut and bolt I could
find, and also on the rotating gear on the door latch
mechanism, and on the strike plate on the jamb.

I then proceeded to clean and polish _every_ bit of
chrome I'd taken off the door, clean the panels, and
removed the wood trim for sanding (it is still
awaiting staining and re-gluing).

The door is back together now, sans wood trim, and the
window really works well.  Next:  the right side...

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

My girlfriend left me
My trusty Imperial