Build sheet for 1929 L*80 Convertible Coupe by Locke

Build sheet for 1929 L*80 Convertible Coupe by Locke

Unfortunately, Chrysler has the build sheet records going back to 1930 only.
And they need the serial number to track down the build sheet as they are
stored on microfilm, in serial number sequence.

The serial number on 1929 Chryslers was placed on the instrument panel.  It
was a FEDCO number, with a combination of letters and numbers.  The 1929
Chrysler Imperial serial numbers ran from EP-320-W to EP-542-P.  (Pre-FEDCO
models also had the number stamped on left side of frame, by left side rear
spring horn.)

The idea behind the FEDCO system was that if the car was stolen, the plate
would be replaced with a new plate showing the last letter of the FEDCO
number replaced by its corresponding number.  If stolen a second time, the
second last digit would be replaced by its corresponding letter.   Chrysler
Corporation used the FEDCO system from 1926 through early 1930.  Moon,
Windsor, Jordan and Gardner were other makes that used the FEDCO system.

Chrysler Corporation's FEDCO letters convert to numbers as :
W - 0
P - 1
C - 2
H - 3
R - 4
Y  - 5
S - 6
L - 7
E - 8
D - 9

Thus EP-320-W to EP542-P translates as 813 200 to 815 421.   That was a
total of 2,222 for 1929 (if serial numbers can be trusted).

1928 L-80 : EP-000-P to EP-315-C
(810 001 to 813 152 -- 3,152)
1930 L*80 : EP-542-C to EP-608-R
(815 422 to 816 084 -- 663)

Engine  numbers :
1928 :
1929 : M-1401 (?) to L-6353
1930 : L-6354 & up
Every list I have shows the beginning engine number for 1929 as "M-1401",
but the M series Chrysler was the series 61, with a smaller engine.    And I
cannot locate engine numbers for 1928.

Bill
Vancouver, BC