Kerry's new 61 Limo saga

Well, I'm bored, time for a new project.  Here's the plan - to build a
stretch limo based on the 61 Imperial.  To my knowledge, this was never
done.  The following is the text but if you follow this link:

http://dte.net/57imperial/GeeA

you can read the text AND see some photos and a design drawing.  btw, this is a long read and the site is still a little slow.

Enjoy -- Kerryp

_____________________________________

My first Imperial was a 61 Custom.  I found this car about 6 years ago
('95) in the newspaper.  When I went to see it I honestly had no idea
what it looked like.  Imperials were NOT on my radar screen back then.
Actually I was hoping it was a 61 Chrysler.  I bought it anyway and
drug it home.

  I didn't really love it and just parked it in a shed and allowed it
to 'age'.  In the meantime, the 57 Imperial was found and purchased.
Th is is the subject for my 57 saga.  Next was a 73 which was rebuilt from
a wreck.  Followed by a 64 with 61K miles that Jeff Carrothers found
here in Huntsville and put me onto.  Finally, last year,  a 71K mile
original 54 with working factory AC followed me home.  Obviously, I have
caught a bad case of Imperial disease.  The real cause was because I
discovered the IML and met a bunch of great fellow Imperial enthusiasts
including Jeff Carrothers, Donald Taccone, Robert Soule, Elijah Scott, Mark
Harris, and many others.  Having a relatively local (all in the South
and attending the Anniston and Chattanooga meets) support group makes
all the difference and we all speak frequently and manage to keep
ourselves motivated and amused.  Along the way, I developed a taste for the
over the top styling of the 61 Imperial.

Unfortunately, the  5 years that the black 61 sat in the shed were not
good to her.  The chrome and trim had deteriorat ed badly and rust had
destroyed the hood and part of the front clip.  It was pretty sad.  I
thought the motor and running gear would be savable as I believed the car
was a 60K mile original and suspected it had been a funeral home car
because it was the lowest level of Imperial but had ALL the flash,
including the stainless silvercrest roof insert.  Everything except the
flytesweep decklid..

Last summer I heard of a pair of 61 Crowns in Dallas belonging to IML
member Wayne Davis.  I bought these cars and drug them home in two trips
from Huntsville, Alabama to Dallas last summer, accompanied by some of
my friends listed above.  Each car and trailer was about a 7000 lb load
behind my pickup but no problems were encountered and a great time was
had by all.  Can you say ROAD TRIP!  By the way, Jeff Carrothers makes
a great meatloaf!

  This is "Pinky" as we started calling her right after we finished
the pink color (Malibu Tan actually), and also because Pinky has been my
nickname since grade school.).  Wayne gave Pinky a complete brake job
including, shoes, wheel and master cylinders, and hoses.  This car has
now been stripped.  All the new brake parts were removed and will be
used in the project.  All the non stainless trim was removed as were the
window motors and other things which might further deteriorate.  She is
now resting in the weeds awaiting her fate.  It won't be pretty I'm
afraid.  Organ donors, rarely enjoy the process.  The motor was fired and
runs but has low compression on two cylinders.  I suspect stuck rings
and have the engine/trans out but have not yet torn it down.  I suspect
the motor is in pretty good shape and will just need a touch up and new
rings/bearings.

   This is the beige car.  (notice to photographers, don't stand where
you cast a s hadow...duh!) She has dual air and no decklid..
Mechanical condition is unknown but the body is the best of the three.  Over the
months since last summer, I worked to pull 'stuff' from the donor cars
for the eventual restoration of one of the three.  Since the beige car
has the dual air and the better sheet metal, it was chosen for the
'core' body.

The first task was to pull the engine and trim from the black original
61.  Donald Taccone, Jeff Carrothers, and Mark Harris came up one
Saturday and were put to work pulling and tearing down the mighty 413.  I've
got some photos somewhere and will add them when I find them.  At any
rate, the motor was VERY locked up. We had to POUND some of the
cylinders out with a trimmed 4x4 post and a 10 lb sledge.  The good news is
that the block looks very good and a quick hone job cleaned it up very
nice.  The heads look good also.  The black car was also stripped of all
perishable parts and is keeping Pinky company out by the tacky shed.

All this was done with the idea of combining all three cars into one
nice 61 as I have have at least one good everything except the interior
which will need all new fabrics etc.

While getting around to dragging the beige car into the shop for
stripping I began to kick around the idea of building a limo instead of a
'run-of-the-mill' 61 Imperial. As I mentioned earlier, no limos were build
using the 61 as a base so it would be very unusual and much easier than
trying to restore something that had a definite "CORRECT" aspect.  That
is, with my limo, there would be no 'correct' fabric, trim, color, etc.
I could build it as I wanted.  The more I thought about this, the
better it sounds.  Of course, my friend Robert Soule keeps egging me on but
I think it's mainly because he has a thing for limos.  He has a rare 61
Ghia with the oval rear window.  Our wives think we're nuts anyway.

John Core y has been an encouragement also and further spread gas on the
fire by sending me a couple drawings of what the finished car could
look like.  He is a much better graphic artist than I.

This was version 2.0 of the scheme.  Notice that all the additional
length is in the "C" pillar.

However, my current thinking is somewhat different as described below.
I'll try and get a drawing soon.

I have several requirements for my "GeeA" limo, a redneck perversion of
Ghia as well as a play on words.

1- Has to have a divider window

2- Has to have a fold down jump seat

3- Has to have at LEAST as much front seat legroom as the standard
Imperial.  I'm 6-3,  'nuff said.

4- Rear seat entry must be easy and 'elegant'.

This means that the 'stretch' will not be completely in the 'C' pillar.
The divider window needs a frame of some sort and the fold down seat
will take up some space also.  If the rear doors remain where the y are,
the access to the back seat would be very tight and not at all
'limoish'.  I think the solution is ti add an additional door post behind the
current one and hang the rear door from it.  This will make a gap between
the back of the front door and the front of the rear door of about 8
inches which is about right.  I will use some sheet metal from one of the
donor doors to fill the gap.   I guess this would be creating a true
"B" pillar.

In order to make the appearance more formal, plans are to run the door
post up to the roof to create more of a sedan look.  Thinking about
wrapping the area where glass would normally be with brushed stainless
steel similar to the 'silvercrest' roof insert.  Obviously this will mean
the silvercrest itself will need to be redone to span the additional
area also.

The rest of the 14 inch (or so) stretch will be in the "C" pillar.  The
rear doors will probably be squared off on the back edge s imilar to the
front doors for increased space and ease of entry.  The back part of
the roof will be a padded 'landau' style.  Of course a small rear window
is required and I'll have to work something out.  I have a small window
in a 72 LeBaron that might work.  I'll think on it but have lots of
time.

I'm not big on leather so my current thinking is a fabric interior.  My
new GMC Pickup had a neat folding rear seat that looks like an
adaptable design for the jump seat.  With the extended 'B' pillar.  The divider
window and jump seat could be fixed which is not only more rigid but
simpler than trying to carry everything on the front seat adjustment
scheme.

Still a lot of thinking and planning to do and a bunch of things to
figure out.  The fabrication will be pretty serious, certainly the most
difficult I've ever undertaken but should be fun to do and hopefully
interesting to observe.  Initial project plan looks like this:
1- Bring the beige car in the shop.

    - Try and crank the car to determine condition of the motor.

    - Strip all the chrome, stainless.  etc.

    - Remove rear doors.

    - Remove interior.

2- Cut and stretch the frame

    - Decide on best place for the stretch.

    - Brace then cut the sheetmetal.  Remove rear half.

    - Stretch the chassis.

    - Fabricate new driveshaft. (probably do away with original center
ujoint and adapt something else easier to rebuild).

3- Get her mobile.

    - Install motor and trans.  Will probably use the 440 and alum
torqueflight prepared for the 57 project.  With the extra weight, the 440
will help and few people will know the difference.

    - Install the brakes

4- Finish the metalshaping and fabrication

 &nb sp;  - Fab the new "B" pillar.

    - Fab the stretch roof at the "C" pillar.

    - Fit and square the rear doors.

5- Fab the new trim

    - All new side spears will be made from scratch.  This should be
interesting but I think I know how.  Probably use 1/4 inch thick polished
aluminum over a gold plate base similar to how the rear eagle is
mounted.

    - New top trim will need to be designed and made.

    - New weatherstripping will be needed for the "B" pillar.

6- Finish bodywork and paint

7- Interior

    - Divider window.

    - Fold down jump seat.

    - Reading lights and comfort controls.

    - Upholstery, carpet, headliner.  Other than the carpet, I'll
probably farm this out.

8- AC

    - Need a complete heat and AC for the front AND rear with separ ate
controls.

Timeline will be whenever I feel like working on it.  The goal will be
to create a limo that Ghia MIGHT have created.  Your input, ideas, and
feedback are welcome.  Stay tuned!

Kerryp

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Greetings - send greetings for Easter, Passover