eBay Item Descriptions/Fluid Drive

In a message dated 3/14/02 6:07:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, pinkertonk@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Well I knew that Fluid Drive had a clutch pedal but
thought that the shifting was 'kinda' automatic.  Is
it not?

Kerryp

No, the shifting is exactly like a conventional three speed.  As I mentioned before, having the Fluid Drive clutch merely enables you to not have to push in or hold in the clutch pedal when stopped.  When pulling out, if you hold the pedal on the floor you can operate just like a regular clutch.  Of course with those "sixes" you didn't exactly snap your head.  With my 52 Dodge pickup, I can come to a stop as an example at a traffic red light, push the clutch when stopped & shift to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, release the clutch pedal and sit there until the light changes; then simply pull out like an automatic.  When you have the M5 or M6 semi automatic trans, in addition to the Fluid Drive clutch, you can again pull up to a traffic light or other stop, and not have to push in the clutch but it will also downshift to a lower gear.  When you pull out and pickup speed, you leave your foot off the gas and you'll hear a "clunk," which is your transmisson shifting to a higher gear.  By the way, you're not al one in thinking that Fluid Drive was the name for the semi auto transmission.  I've met many people over the years who refer to it that way.  To add more to the confusion, my 52 Crown Imperial has a Fluid Torque clutch which basically has a Fluid Drive clutch, but also a type of torque converter in addition to the semi auto transmission.......whew!
                                                             Bill B.