Crown vs.Southhampton

No, the "South Hampton" was not a post car.  The "Southhampton" (note it is
one word) was the name used by Imperial for its hardtops from 1956 to 1962
(and occassionally 1963).   The Southampton name was used on both 2-door and
4-door hardtops, but not the sedan.

Imperial had no special name for the 4-door sedan (with centre post and
stationary frames around the windows).  Also, Imperial did not make 4-door
sedans from 1961 to 1966.  Which is probably why the name "Southampton" was
dropped - all non-convertible models were hardtops/Southamptons.  No need
for a special name to distinguish a hardtop from a sedan.

And Southamptons were available as Custom, Crown or LeBaron, although the
LeBaron only offered a 4-door model prior to 1969.   The only other
production model was the Crown 2-door convertible.

Bill
Vancouver, BC