stereos and mechanix

Hi Thad,
    I will have to look at the old system to see what model numbers they
were. I don't think it much matters as to the model number, just so you
can get a diagram for the amp and that the tubes and everything else does
not need more than 12 volts. You can determine this by checking the
output of the main transformer. As long as it is no more than 12 volts
before it goes into the rectifier, you are set. You can also get an idea
by looking at the tubes, the first one or two numbers are usually the
tube voltage, like
 12AX7 would be 12 volts and a 6GH8A would be 6 volts. This is just a
rough way to tell and not always accurate. There are ways to duplicate
the sound of tubes with transistor equipment that might be easier than
this. As far as the tweeters and midrange, the older type speakers
covered the whole range pretty well and if you start separating the
frequencies you are not going to get the sound you are looking for. Your
best bet might be a large good quality transistor amp with a good
equalizer. This will allow you enough power and enable you to come up
with that slightly fuzzy tube sound until some idiot gets into your car
and changes your settings on the equalizer that it took you an hour to
set. As for the reverb, you might want to go to your local music store
that sells amps and instruments etc. and get a small solid state guitar
reverb. They will also have fuzzboxes and other items that might give you
what you want a lot easier. Above all else, you must listen to the
different amps through the same set of speakers with the same head unit
as they all have a slightly different sound. As an example, I do not like
Alpine equipment as the sound seems to dead with no life to it. I seem to
have very good luck with the cheaper stuff as it seems to give just the
right amount of distortion. Radio Shacks amps have worked the best for
me, along with their speakers.
    As far as mechanics are concerned, there just ain't any left anymore.
They are all just parts changers and half the time they can't even do
that right. I think that this is the publics fault more than anything
else because they don't want to pay the price of someone who has the
knowledge and training to work on their car. All it seems they want is
cheap. When I had a repair shop, most of the people would balk at paying
200.00 for a repair on their 20,000.00 investment but would gladly pay
150.00 to fix their 500.00 TV. I could never figure it out. Oh well. Let
me know how you do with the stereo's and if you need any more info or
help let me know.
   If you want to chat about anything or need a fast answer, I can
usually be reached at 973-564-7648. This is my shop number but I am
almost always here. If you get the machine, just leave me your message
and phone # because sometimes I don't hear the phone or I am outside
under a car.

     Allan R