100 octane in a 58 Imp ????

Robert Dervin/rjdervin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I need to run 94 octane in my '58 along with a bottle of booster just to
> keep the ping out. That is with only 6 degrees BTC initial and only 19
> degrees total advance. Other added advantages to premium fuels are better
> detergent, more consistancy and smoother running.

I can run my '67 on 89 without additives and get no pinging (ever since I
switched to Autolite plugs years ago). The car runs cool and can handle the
hills without feeling challenged. The engine has 125,000 miles on it (as
does the rest of the car) and has never had the heads off. It burns no oil,
starts easily even it sits for six to eight weeks, and returns 14 mpg on the
highway.

My '78 NYB with 17,000 miles and its original Lean Burn intact runs great on
89 as well, but I tend to treat it to 91 out of habit (and because I rarely
drive it). I'll let you know how it survives to 20,000 miles. Ask me in
another 10 years!

IMHO, anything over normal pump premium (which is 91 octane here in CA now)
is unnecessary. I'm sure it would love the treat of 100 octane, but to me
there is no need to worry with ordinary gasoline of a good brand name and a
reasonable octane rating. I also believe Chevron uses the same amount of
Techron in all its octane ratings, so there does not seem to be a detergent
advantage to premium these days, either.

Go with the Autolite plugs, set the timing 4 degrees retarded from spec, and
enjoy!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon