Replacing "Imperial" script trim on '67?

Replacing "Imperial" script trim on '67?

The piece of "Imperial" script trim on the trunk lid of
my '67 Crown is pitted.  I'd like to swap it out for a
replacement that I got on eBay.  But before I start yanking
on it, I have some questions.

-- What holds the trim piece to the car?  The replacement
piece has four dull spike-like protrusions on the back,
which obviously get inserted into holes in the metal of
the trunk lid.  But what holds them in there?

-- How can I pull out the pitted piece?  I envision looping
several strands of nylon fishing line around it and pulling
on them in unison. :-)

-- The replacement piece has four "spikes".  But when I peer
behind the existing script piece on the car, I'd swear I see
five spikes -- the extra one being somewhere behind the
lowercase "i".  The script pieces on the two sides of the
car appear to have only four spikes though.  Hmmm, are these
actually two different parts?  Is there any reason why I
can't replace the five-spiked one on the trunk lid with a
four-spiked one?

Thank you, O wise ones!

Tim Klein
'67 Crown 4DHT, haze green