'67-'71 Imperial Limos; was Re: IML: Interesting item on eBay web site i

'67-'71 Imperial Limos; was Re: IML: Interesting item on eBay web site item#1804084826: Chrysler : Imperial Limousine

--- Mark McDonald <tomswift@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm curious to know who built them?  Were they made
> by Chrysler (or Imperial, excuse me) at the
> Jefferson Ave. plant?  Or were they made by another
> company, like the Lincoln & Caddy limos were?

The limo currently for sale on eBay (at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1804084826)
was built by Stageway Limousines of Arkansas.  As
someone else mentioned there were approximately 12
'67-'68 limos produced by Stageway.  This same company
also produced approximately 12 '69-'71 limos, all of
which were built on '69 bodies, with updated grilles
and trim for '70 and '71.  In fact, there was only ONE
'71 limo produced -- it was originally sold to Hugh
Hefner, and currently resides with IML member Murray
Park -- visit it at
http://www.imperialclub.com/Varieties/Special/Professional/Limos/YearByYear/1970/MurrayPark/index.htm
(yes, I incorrectly filed it under the '70 pages, so I
need to move it to '71).

A few years ago, I found a nice brochure for a '67
limo built by Andrew Theodorou Coachbuilders of
Chicago -- available at
http://www.imperialclub.com/Varieties/Special/Professional/Limos/YearByYear/1967/brochure.htm.
 Frankly, the Theodorou conversion looks a bit more
luxurious than the Stageway cars.

Stageway continued to build limos and airport sedans
into the late '70s.  Hess & Eisenhardt also built a
few Imperial limos, the most notable of which was a
'73 Imperial used by Nixon's secret service detail.

Imperially,

Elijah