California's inane old car laws??!!

All -

Before this "comment and/or debate" gets fully revved up, make sure you
know what you are commenting on!

There are hundreds of thousands, maybe a million "old" cars in
California (older than 1980), all properly registered without much grief
and not much expense.  Smog tests DO NOT apply to cars older than 1974.
There are no "safety tests/checks."  If you don't register a car every
year OR notify the state it's "non operative", you can get stuck with
back registrations and penalties.

The smog "buy back" isn't a great idea, but it doesn't apply to cars
that don't need to pass the smog test.  There are many charities seeking
car donations, but it's an auction scam that has nothing to do with
state law.

I have a few old cars and find registration, insurance, etc. to be
painless and not very expensive.  There are hundreds of car clubs in
California, hundreds of events, several world class car museums, many
great places to drive...it may be a car hobbyist's paradise!

On second thought - keeping spreading the bad news rumors...it may keep
the population down!

Bob