breaking torsion bars

Jim, Here is my story: My father bought a 1958 Black Lebaron in 1961. It was
our family car, and we 3 kids and parents loved it very much. It was a real
head turner even in the 1960's. Anyway I was mowing the grass one nice
summer evening in about 1967, and over the sound of the push mower I heard
the sound (I thought) of a high-powered rifle. It was VERY loud. I stopped
the mower, looked around the neighborhood and saw nothing out of the
ordinary. I resumed mowing. Later when I went into the garage to put the
mower, I was shocked and horrified to see our Imp. leaning severly to the
left. I dont remember if it had been driven that day. We also had a '64 Imp
and a '67 VW beetle.

I do remember the repairman telling my dad that they "never break when the
car is moving. only when sitting still"

Regards, Bob