seat belt relay

> Can any one tell me where the relay is located that
> keeps a 1974 Imperial from starting if seat belt is
> not latched if there is weight in seat like a bag of
> groceries or a person?

This is a somewhat obscure bit of automobilia, used
only in the 1974 model year.  Those of us afflicted
with a car of this vintage (My Other Mopar is a '74)
have oft butted heads with this beast.  Basically,
there is a weight sensor underneath the seats that
triggers the seat belts switch to deactivate the
ignition unless the belts are buckled.  From what I
know of this system, it includes the switches in the
seatbelts, the weight sensors under the seats, and a
relay mounted on the firewall.

The firewall mounted relay should have a red button on
it; if the car is dead (ie starter doesn't make any
noise) you may have to press the red button down; this
will reset whatever it is that's inside; I think its
some sort of circuit breaker.

The easy (perhaps intentionally?) way to defeat the
system is to simply unplug the sensors on the
seat/belt.  Without any input, the default condition
is to let the car start.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Christmas is over now