83 electrical problem

Leo
I have just recently had the same problem with my '83.  Loaned her out to
Dad, when I got her back, the clock was wrong.  The trip odometer, which I
had reset about 10 gallons ago said 7.6 miles.  My dad said the "odometer
seemed to have gone backwards," but his eyes aren't so hot these days.  It
has since reset the clock a couple of times, only once in my presence, never
while running.  Next up Dick's suggestions.
Rob