63 LeBaron Fuel Sending Unit

Hi group,
    I don't contribute much to things here, usually just read the messages
but thought I would this time. My fuel gauge was inop in the LeBaron and I
knew it was either the sending unit or wiring to the gauge. Jacked the rear
end up, got underneath, grounded the wire, turned on the ignition, and sure
enough the gauge went to full. Bingo! Purchased a new one and checked out the
shop manual and this is where it gets hazy. If you look through the manual,
nowhere does it say that you can remove the sending unit without dropping the
gas tank. In fact, the implication is that you have to drop the tank to get
to the sender. Not true. The sending unit is easily accessible once you get
behind the rear axle, and takes a little twisting and some patience, but it
will come out fairly easily. Once I had the old one out, it was definately
bad and no more diagnosis was needed. Pop the new one in, hook up the wire,
making sure of good grounding and away we go....fuel gauge now showing me how
much of this cheap West Coast premium I have left in the tank.
   Just wanted to pass the info onto the list in case someone is hesitant to
do this. Piece of cake for even the most mechanically challenged of us. I
didn't check the shop manual for other years to see what it said about this,
but for 63, there is very little info there.
   By the way, I am thinning the herd and will be selling this car. Will post
an ad on the classifieds if anyone might be interested. West Coast car,
decent driver, probably for around $3000.

  Thomas Gunnari
  59 Crown 2D, 63,65 Crown 4D, 63 LeBaron