62 Dash lights -- Crank 'em up!

Allen,

The EL "black box" is an oscillator.   The output voltage varies with the
input (battery) voltage that is adjusted by the dimmer knob on the dash.
 The high voltage output is an AC voltage.  I took one of these to work
years ago and did a little bench testing:  I measured a whopping 790
Volts peak-to-peak with a frequency of 294 Hz (an AC voltmeter will give
reading of about a third of this -- around 250 Volts RMS).  The
oscillator is pretty crude and the circuit suffers from the aging of a
capacitor (it gets leaky and loads down and finally shorts the high
voltage output) but the EL dash is pretty darned high tech even by
today's standards!

John B.