Stranded in metropolis

Johan -

>From my "book-learning" through the IML & in the archives, some thoughts
below:

> The tow truck person identified the neat and clean little hole on the lower
> passengers side of the engine (413) as the "freeze plug hole" (about 1- 1\2
> in diameter).
>
> Does it work as some sort of pop-off valve like the guy said?

No, it's really a remnant from the block casting process, but also does
provide some protection if you don't have antifreeze and the coolant
freezes.  These are steel or brass plugs & replacement is routine, but
can be messy because of access.  I think there are 4 altogether.

> What is its function?

See above.

> Can I get one fairly easy?

Yes, and there should be an "emergency" sort of plug made partly from
rubber, with a bolt to tighten.  Best is to have all replaced - if you
do it yourself, check the archives for how to use this opportunity to
clean up your coolant system also.

> What should I do to the engine before I start it up again (like say nice
> things to it?) when the hole is finally plugged (it had to go about a mile
> with no coolant before I could pull over)?

Probably no problems - doesn't seem far enough to cause overheating.

> Will Laura Bush ever find a decent cocktail in the White House?

Doesn't Dubya have a secret stash?