Leather Care. (was: embossed crest)

----Original Message Follows----
From: "D. Dardalis" <dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: embossed crest
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:56:46 -0600

Somebody said that leather will disintegrate if not properly taken care
off.  Can somebody secribe what is the proper way to maintain leather
seats?  Is there a certain chemical that if sprayed will keep the seats
last longer?

  I always use Neatsfoot Oil by Kiwi. I wrote a posting about this before.
Perhaps it is in the Archives.

  I'll wait for a hot day and apply it with an old,clean sock...put the
windows up,and let the car sit in the sun so that it gets really hot
inside...and let the stuff soak in. Hi-traffic areas (drivers-side seat
bottom)and sun-prone areas (rear seat-back-top) will probably need a 2nd
application. You'll see what parts of the seats soak it right up.

   When done,your interior will smell like leather and won't have that phony
Armor-All shine to it. Wipe any excess,if any,with a clean towel.

  These are the products I would avoid using on leather seats:
  1) Armor-All
  2) Waterproofing pastes.
  3) Silicone based products.

  I have never used Leatherique...but hear it is good for repairs,etc.

Steve from Albany,N.Y.
'75 Imp 4dr.....