Another Interesting Engine Mystery

I don't think I ever had a big-block MoPar that didn't do what you described
below...and it has been somewhat of a mystery to me too. I don't believe it
is directly carb related. It has happened on late-'60s and all '70s MoPars I
have had or worked on with all types of carbs.

The "too rich" theory? Fine,except that my '75 has a Holley that I put on it
10 years ago..and the carb has NO CHOKE. Mine starts well when
freezing-cold...then starts the chuga-chuga thing for a min..then clears up.
No stepping on the gas is needed to "clear it up"...sometimes.

When I asked an old mechanic about this about 15 years ago,his reply was
something pertaining to the temperature of the combustion chamber vs. the
mixture vs. the amount of raw fuel left due to improper combustion due to
the lower temps at start-up. Things change drastically and quickly when the
engine is warming up from very cold. What he said made sense..I hope what I
just wrote did.

He also mentioned that big block mopars in cold climates were known for this
"chugging"...and that their intake runner-flow and bad combustion chamber
efficiency while warming up added to the prob..making them suseptable to
this "flooding" syndrome.

I just use good spark-plugs...and don't let the car die when it is going
thru this warm-up "transformation".

Steve from Albany,N.Y.
'75 Imp 4dr <-chuggs a bit between 100`F and +\-140`F when started-up cold.
'79 440 powered 35 ft RV <--does the same thing as Brads NYB...but sounds
cool when it does it thru it's shaking,chromed,5 inch exhaust.