From: "Joe Strickland"
To: "Imperial Mail List"
Subject: IML: '62 Brake Lines
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:05:13 -0500

Thanks to Dick Benjamin;

I checked with a local parts store and found
that the usual size for brake lines is 3/16"
and looked at some while I was there. That is
0.185". After I returned home, I rechecked the
OD of the tubing on the car (cleaned it first)
and saw that it really is 3/16" after all. I
bought a "double" flaring tool and saw from the
instructions that come with it what they mean
by "double". During the process of flaring the
end of a piece of tubing it first forms a bell
shape and then the tool is used again to fold
part of the bell shape back into itself which
eventually results in a double thickness flare
at the end of the tubing. It is much stronger
than it would be otherwise.

First step will be to get the springs back on
the shoes and then re-install the drums and
then wheels and tires. Then I can re-configure
my jacks and support structures so that I can
safely get under the car to remove brake lines
and replace them.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Joe

Fred Joslin