IML: '55-'56 Oil Cannister Spring

Imperialists,

    In changing the oil on my '56 Imperial 354, I noticed there is a spring in the top of the 4" canister which forces the filter back against the oil feed at the block and allows for better filtration.  It is four inches long due to space limitations within the engine compartment.  In my '55 331 however, the canister is 6" long due to additional room, and I have found that it does NOT contain the same spring apparatus.  Am I to assume this piece is missing as the filter is not pressed firmly against the block and possibly just 'floating' within the canister?  And if so, is it a part I will track down new, or will I be contacting Bob H. or Lowell, etc. for a used one?

Thanks as Always,

Jack

See what's free at AOL.com.