Re: IML: Imperials are a "C" or a ...???

Re: IML: Imperials are a "C" or a ...???

Actually, the second digit in the 1960-1980 VIN was the car SERIES or PRICE
CLASS.

The 1960 to 1965 VIN used numbers, 1 (cheap) to 4  (fancy) for non-wagon
models, 5 to 7 for wagons, 8 for tazis 9 for police, and 0 for special
models..

>From 1966 to 1980, letters of the alphabet were used, with choices running
E, L, M, H, and P, cheap to expensive.  "S" was used as expensive model
(1970 Dodge Monaco 500) or cheap model (1971 Dodge Polara Special),
depending upon situation.  "K" was for police, "T" for taxi, and "N" for New
Yorker taxi.

"M" for Imperial was either a Crown (1966-68) or LeBaron (1969-75).

Back in those days cars had series with unique interior and exterior
treatments along with identifying nameplates.  You didn't need a parts book
to tell a Fury from a Savoy.  Options and accessories included such things
as radios, power steering, wheel covers, seat covers, and door edge guards
which were noted on the car's body tag..

Bill
Vancouver, BC