Re: IML: Preserving Weatherstrip

I know this might sound a little strange, but I've used SPF 30 Sunblock Lotion, on my trucks, and my Lincoln MK8 for several years. This is easily removed, with warm soapy water. The products that have silicone,or teflon additives, could be a problem if a re-paint is in the near future. These are hard to remove, and impede paint adhesion. Not only does it seem to work, but it has a nice coconut oder, on hot days. Ya'll have a nice CHRISTMAS, Dave.

From: Matthew Esposito <cadmat@xxxxxxxxx>
I've heard that silicone products ( like armorall and most "protectants" ) actually promote deteriration in rubber and vinyl.. Another list I'm on, for a car who's weatherstripping is IMPOSSIBLE to replace,  recomend a product used in the space industry called Krytox.. apparently, it is the only item spacifficly designed to truly prolong the life of critical rubber parts even in severe environments ( like space, or the polluted air of southern California, where I live) unfortunatly, I don't know where one gets the stuff.

Great suggestion- Also keeping it moist with silicone is very good also. You want it no to dry up !