Re: IML: overdrive idea for aluminum torqueflight

The normal converter slip, is somewhere around 10%, however this changes over years, the converter can experience a ballooning condition, which increases the internal clearances.This adds to the slip, and stall speed. It's not to hard to see where you are right now. Mathematicly speaking, all you need is a good tachometer, the actual rear axle ratio, and the tire diameter.A GPS would help too.I'll give an example: 28" dia. tire, 2.76 ratio, 87.92" tire circumference, 63,360" /mile. It would take 1987 rpm at the axle, (no tire slip) If the engine is driving the axle, and took 2400rpm to do it, that would be: 2400 rpm divided by 1987rpm.= 1.21 times 10= 12.1% add tire slip, 1.5%= 13.6 loss at the engine. I think my math is right, I presented this as a father, daughter problem, Ya'll have a nice day , Dave.

From: "Frederick Joslin" <fljoslin@xxxxxxxx>
Very interesting/
They claim a 30-40% increase in highway gas mileage going to the overdrive transmission from a regular 3-speed.
That seems high to me! You are still moving the same mass with the same air resistance. Only the engine is turning a little slower due to lower final drive ratio and lock-up converter.

Does anyone have a feel for how much the non-lock up torque converters are slipping when going down the highway under normal driving conditions at 70 mph?