Re: IML: Please Welcome Brad Weikert

Thanks for the info on the wheel covers and decals. I may have to see if I can track down the correct covers, they are more attractive than the ones on mine. If they are unobtainable I may have to at least have mine painted in the correct scheme. I'll be sure to check that they do not interfere with the valve stems. Another thing that is not correct on the car is the headlight covers. I believe the ones that are on it are from a 1965 model. Again if I can find the correct ones for a reasonable price I'll get them, otherwise the ones that are on there are fine. I want the car to look new but I plan to drive it so no since in going overboard on some of this stuff.

I too love the seats, that was one of the selling points. I had actually been looking for one of these in good shape for some time with little success. I was looking strictly for the 1966 model for several reasons, the biggest of which was the combination of the body style, more extensive use of walnut trim in the interior, the 440 engine (my all time favorite engine), and 1966 being the last year that cars don't have to pass emissions here in Phoenix. I had hoped to find one that was a little more heavily optioned out but when this one became available I immediately fell in love with it and decided to make an offer. I had not planned on having the paint, trim, window felts, and headliner taken care of so soon but they made me an offer that I could not have matched later (possibly in part because I probably paid too much for the car, but it was worth it). They are removing all the exterior trim and having it re-chromed, pounding out all the little dings in the body from the inside so no filler will be used. The paint will be Dupont 2 stage with 4 base coats and 7 clear coats, sanded after each coat for that mirror finish. The exterior window felts are being replaced and the headliner is being repaired or replaced as needed to make it like new. Thomas, the owner tells me that the car should look brand new when all this is done but if he comes across anything else he will let me know.

Hopefully they will do a nice job on all the appearance items so I can concentrate on making sure it is mechanically fit. Supposedly it is mechanically sound but I can't imagine that a 40 year old car wouldn't need a few parts replaced, in particular all the rubber parts and bushings, front end parts, brakes, CV joints, etc. Hopefully it won't take too much work to have a good one. This is sort a long time dream coming true for me so I'm pretty excited about it.

As to reading the website, I've read every article and followed every link on the 1966 page and greatly enjoyed and appreciated it! There are some very beautiful cars on there too. I wish there was more to read! I've also explored a lot of the rest of the site and done a lot of reading, especially in the repairs section. It's a great site and I thank everyone who brought it together!

OK, enough rambling for now...

Have a great day
Brad
1966 Crown