Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:18 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Engine switch

I never heard the 318 poly called elephant before. That term was usually reserved for the 426 hemi. The 318 was a small block, the A engine. The LA was a later, revised version, started as 273, then 318, later 340 and 360. The poly heads looked much bigger, so I've heard them called "whale" blocks, though I don't think they were actually any bigger. It won't bolt up to a big block trans.

Rob