Re: IML: Changing Door-Hinges

1.  Park your car under something solid and use
wratchet tie-straps to hold the door while you do one
hinge at a time.  This could include an engine hoist
or STRONG beam in your garage.  I suspect that if you
do one hinge at a time that you can skip this step and
move directly to #2, since you're not going to be
removing BOTH hinges (door removal), just swapping
them?

See Example:

Ebay item: 4645200137
You want ones like the UPPER straps, NOT the lower
ones in this set.  The lower ones rely on friction,
while the upper ones have wratcheting handles the wind
the strap into a spiral.  The handle will fail before
the strap will slip on the wratchet units, and they
can be modulated/tightened when under tensions (the
pull-thru ones can't).

2.  Once done, you can move the car to a level surface
if not there already and use a rolling floor jack with
a 2x4 or something soft on the pad (to save your
paint).  The hydraulic jack offers great
control/modulation.  I just did adjustments on the 55
and the 66 with just a jack and it worked great.

Jack: $0, Socket wrench: $0, Patience: $0
Results: priceless

That's how I'd do it, and you wind up with some nice
automotive bondage accessories afterwards to hold your
hood or trunklid on, so you get a two-fer one deal!

These can be found at your local hardware store or
wherever people with trucks need to secure loads.

Kenyon Wills