Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:32 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: Hello, and 1982 Coupe quesitons...

Well, today I dug up the old AM/FM cassette that came from the '87 NY.  At
the same time I pulled the dead AM/FM cassette from the Imperial.  Man,
that thing was hard to get out. It was fixed in place by some weird kind of
anti-theft screws I've never seen before. I'm not sure if those are
original to the car or not.

After removing it is obvious that it's connections are not at all similar
to the newer radio from the '87 NY.  The '87 NY stereo has two plug sockets
on the back of the unit itself, both with 7 pins in a straight line.  The
Imperial radio has two wire bundles coming out of it. One of the bundles is
split into two terminals and the other has one terminal with some kind of
six-pin connector. Are these two units even electrically compatible if I
were to wire an adapter?

That's probably moot right now though because at this point I probably just
want to try and find a working Quartz Lock AM/FM cassette system.  Were
these units used in any models other than the Imperials? Any suggestions or
where to find one, or a compatible unit I wouldn't have to wire an adapter
for?

Nat