From: "John Corey"
Subject: Re: IML: How much is a necessary cost?
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:07:50 -0400

ÃâÂÃÂÂÃâËÃÂâÃÂâÃÂâÃÂâÃÂÂÃÂâÃââÃââÃÂâÃÂâÃÆÂÃÂâÃââÃââÃâÂÃÂâÃââÃÂÂÃÂÂÃÂâÃÂâ

OK, that's the limit of my Nihon-go without translation software.
I'm glad you are so dedicated to preserving
your Imperial. There is no doubt that it is
much more costly there than in the U.S. Here,
it varies from one state to another. In
Virginia, where I once lived, we had a kind of
tax based on the book value of cars, so people
kept their cars a long time - old cars had
very low taxes, as little as $10 per year.
Here in New York, car tax is by registered
weight, so the big old Imperials cost a little
more, but still less than $200 per year. In
some states, more like in Japan, the safety
inspections can add high cost, especially
where rust-through is not allowed.

Are you able to use your car on the roads
there? It must be difficult with the controls
on the wrong side and the large size in the
narrow lanes!

jc

On May 11, 2006, at 1:00 AM, Yasushi Shiroi wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> 15 years have passed since I purchased 1958 Imperial.
> I am maintaining the condition that the car can run.
>
> The person who owns a car in Japan must pay
> an auto tax by the end of this mon
> th.
> I pay an auto tax every year for the car, too.
>
> A tax depends on the engine displacement of the car.
> I must pay 1000 dollars as an auto tax in case of 392 Hemi engine.
> The person who owns the car which passed for
> 13 years pays 10% of the auto tax
> es for the environmental protection.
> Therefore, the inside of my wallet is always empty.
>
> The people who maintain the car of the big
> engine are decreasing for this tax
> system in Japan.
> And, the people who maintain an old car are decreasing, too.
>
> How much is a necessary cost in your country to maintain a car?
>
> Yours sincerely .
>
> (I wrote this letter using Translation software.)
>
> Yasushi Shiroi
> '58 Imperial Custom "Pointer"
> BXN01303@xxxxxxxxxxx

John Corey
jcorey@xxxxxxxxxx,jcorey@xxxxxxxxxxx
CFIC-Qdrive, 302 Tenth St., Troy, NY 12180 USA
518-272-3565
fax: -272-3582