Re: IML: To custom or not to custom?

One of the original common threads to hot-rodding as I
understand it was taking bone-cheap, very common
$50-$100 cars and building them into go-fast machines,
hence the popularity of Model A and Model T's as a
basis.  Customizing came out of this area later on,
and looks to the "bones" of a car for artistic
creation, but many customs start with derelict cars
and recreate them into works of personal art.

The argument in favor of keeping your car stock and
rebuilding the engine would probably be one of
relative scarcity.  You can customize just about
anything, but with so few 1960's around, a relatively
complete car with promise somehow deserves to be
maintained/restored in my book.

The car's yours in the end, and you get to make the
choice, of course, regardless of what anyone says here
or elsewhere.

The economic decision points to customizing, as that
can often be a much cheaper and easier alternative to
to getting things redone as they were new - parts
choices sure are much wider.  You can take all sorts
of shortcuts in upholstery, paint, wheels/tires, and
driveline since it's interpretive and not going by any
book.

There was a guy that wrote into the website awhile
back - we never got photos - who had a late 1950's
boat with tall fins that he was customizing with 1960
fins and painting to match his 1960.  I'd call that
the end-all be-all for custom 1960 Imperial getups.
The first day down the boat ramp will likely be very
satisfying indeed.

Anybody see that fellow, please chase him down and
tackle him - beg for photos on behalf of the website -
I'd kill to see what became of that project!

The cars are magnificently head-turning when stock.  I
vote to take a flight of fancy on something less
unique and more open to interpretation.  Perhaps your
second car, if made to run, could fetch enough coin to
get you into an alternate custom car or through a
project from a financial standpoint?

A 1960 is not lacking in personality.

-Kenyon