RE: IML: power motor for windows and seats 64-66

RE: IML: power motor for windows and seats 64-66

You are correct, electric motors either work or they don’t, except in rare cases.?

Seat motors are used very seldom by most drivers and passengers, and often are hard to get going again.? The rear windows also were often left alone for years by the previous owners – the grease hardens, the oil dries up; moving parts get stuck from lack of use.

I’ve recently taken every single motor and mechanism apart on my 1967 and 1968 Imperials; then cleaned and lubed all the mechanisms – every moving part in fact.? I am pleased to report that now the windows, windshield wipers, antenna, blower, starter, 8 track player, auto-pilot, windshield washer and seats all work exactly as they must have when these cars were new – rapidly and quietly, and without dimming the lights either!

The power window motor mechanisms are quite simple, but there is a dangerously strong spring to assist each window in the “up” direction (except for the vent wing motors), so be sure to follow the FSM instructions or get someone who has done it before to help you the first time you take one apart – they are strong enough to break a finger or put an eye out if you are not careful.

The seat mechanisms are rather complicated, especially the solenoid gear selection.? There is only one motor per seat; there are 3 solenoids that engage the three moving devices:? front edge up/down, rear edge up/down, or forward/backward drives – a total of 6 drive cables/gear sets per seat.? If you are handy with small tools and very observant, you can take them all apart and lubricate them, but this is not a simple task.? Also, the power seats are VERY heavy, and awkward to handle.? They bolt through the floor with only four ½” bolts each, but once unbolted, they won’t sit upright – so you have to be prepared to wrestle each one out and over to your workbench so you can disassemble the upholstered parts from the motorized base mechanism.?? You can also take the seat off the mechanism in the car, but I found it easier to take the whole assembly out of the car to work on it.

Dick Benjamin