IML: Vinyl roof saga continues.

The vinyl roof saga of my 69 LeBaron continues. I removed the roof last fall to address some rust that was obvious at the front of the roof directly behind the top of the windshield. I subsequently discovered significant rust (holes) under the fiberglass insert on the rear deck and surface rust over the entire roof in general. There were also two large rusted holes at the top of the A pillars.

This weekend I decided that I needed to remove the windshield to really do a complete job. It appears that the vinyl roof was installed before the windshield so that the only way to completly remove all vestiges of the roof is to also remove the windshield. I tried to remove the windshield in one piece, but failed. After removing it and the sealant holding it in place, I discovered significant more rust under the adhesive which was not remotely visible with the windshield in place, evern though the vinyl roof and all trim had been removed.  The entire frame supporting the windshield is rusted to some extent. There are also rust through holes across the top in the more vertical part of the windshield frame and in the DS A pillar. I attribute this rust to the presence of the vinyl roof.

For the replacement windshield, am I corerect in believeing that all full size Mopars from 1969-1973 have the same front windshield?

The "simple" replacemnent of a vinyl roof with a little rust treatment (approx 2 square feet on the roof) is becoming much more of a challenge that I anticipated or wanted.

Fred Joslin