Re: IML: Leaking tranny

Hi, Tom --

Congratulations on your baby's rebirth.

I don't know cast iron torqueflites, but I do know there are two vents (front and rear) on the aluminum units that must be kept open.  I have also seen them referred to as "breathers". In that scenario, with a raised rear end your fluid gets dumped into the torque converter and it overflows.  Gravity lets the fluid out through the torque converter access plate.

You can learn a lot from the transmission section in the '60 FSM at http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1960/FSM/html/toc.htm

Lastly, low mileage does not necessarily mean immediately serviceable.  After sitting for that length of time, you need a disassembly and rebuild just to replace all internal and external gaskets or you will suffer from leaks until doomsday.  The good news is your hard parts have little wear and will likely be 100% reusable.

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man