Re: IML: 1963 Imperial

I am now the proud owner of a 63 Imperial convertible. I picked the car up
this past weekend.

I had been looking for a few months and it had been my intention to write
that my quest had ended. Unfortunately, my quest is just beginning.  The car
needs much work.

I am debating whether I paid too much for the car.  It is almost exactly
what I wanted.  (white with black and top interior).  The only thing that
would havebeen better is if the car had burgundy interior and a white top.
I drove the car home (about 900 miles).  Once I adjusted the points, timing
and carb. it ran great (with the exception of using two quarts of oil).  The
car is loaded.  I believe, except auto headlight dimmer, the car has all
available options.  Considering I wanted a white 63 convertible, how few of
these cars are probably left and the number of options I am going with the
conclusion I did not overpay (by much).

For now I am going to drive the car and become familiar with the mechanicals
and how the car is put together.  Over the summer I will figure what I need
and start gathering parts.  In the fall I will start the work.

The trunk floor is pretty rusty and will need to be replaced.  Also, some
other sheetmeatl will have to be replaced.  If anyone knows of a good parts
car please keep me in mind.  I believe for what I need a 61, 62 or 63 will
work.

Finally, the car comes with an interesting story.  I must qualify the story
by advising it was told to me after I had bought the car and had nothing to
do with the purchase or the price.  I am the fifth owner.  The seller told
me he talked to the second and third owners and both told him the car was
originally registered in Washington D.C. and was owned by John and
Jacqueline Kennedy.  There is no documentation to support this and it is
again simply a story.  However, it is interesting.

I look forward to my future with the car.

Ray Fabricius

Proud owner of a 63 Imperial conv't
(and some non-Imperial cars)