Re: RE: IML: eBay

HI FOLKS,
I JUST WANTED TO PUT IN MY COMMENT ABOUT EBAY AND THE POSSIBILITY OF BEING SCAMMED.
     IN NOV. OF LAST YEAR, I BOUGHT MY '81 IMP. FS FROM A FELLOW 200 MILES AWAY. I WAS THE ONLY BIDDER, AND FRANKLY, I WAS SCARED! I HAVE BOUGHT ALMOST 100 ITEMS ON EBAY, BUT THIS WAS THE BIGGEST AND I KNEW I COULD BE RIPPED OFF. I PUT MY BID IN IN THE LAST FEW SECONDS AND , QUITE FRANKLY, HOPED SOMEONE ELSE WOULD OUTBID ME---   NOPE, I WAS THE WINNER AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY PURCHASE. I ALSO SPOKE TO THE OWNER SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE I PUT MY BID IN.
     NOW HERE IS THE WARNING I WILL GIVE TO ALL WHO WOULD BUY A BIG TICKET ITEM ON EBAY.
     AT THE SAME TIME I WAS BIDDING AND BUYING MY CAR, MY BROTHER WAS ALSO TRYING TO BUY A CAR ON EBAY-- A MERCEDES DIESEL WAGON --- FOR $4000.00. HE WAS OUTBID AND THOUGHT ALL WAS LOST, HOWEVER, RIGHT AFTER THE END OF THE AUCTION, HE RECEIVED A "2ND CHANCE" NOTICE. THE PURCHASER  HAD FAILED TO CONCLUDE THE TRANSACTION.
OF COURSE, MY BROTHER WAS VERY HAPPY, AND IMMEDIATELY AGREED TO BUY THE CAR AT HIS BID, WHICH , BECAUSE IT WAS A "2ND CHANCE:" BID EVEN INCLUDED SHIPPING!
     THIS DID NOT HAPPEN IN A MOMENT, BUT OVER A PERIOD OF SEVERAL DAYS.
HE FINALLY AGREED TO WIRE THE MONEY VIA WESTERN UNION AND DID SO. WESTERN UNION VIDEOTAPES THE RECEIPT OF MONEY BY THE PERSON RECEIVING IT, BUT ONLY KEEPS THE TAPES FOR A SHORT PERIOD, AND WILL ONLY ALLOW THE POLICE TO VIEW THEM IN CASE OF A PROBLEM.
     WELL, THERE WAS A PROBLEM AND IT WAS THIS---MY BROTHER WAS SCAMMED BY THE PERSON OFFERING THE "2ND CHANCE"!!!!! HE WANTED THE CAR, SENT THE MONEY, AND AFTER A FEW DAYS TRIED TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS GOING ON. AND THE REST IS HISTORY.
     WHEN THE CAR WAS ORIGINALLY LISTED, IT WAS IN THE NORTHEAST U.S. WHEN IT WAS 2ND CHANCED AND HE SENT THE MONEY, IT MAGICALLY WENT TO LAS VEGAS. THE LAS VEGAS POLICE WERE NOT INTERESTED IN THE SCAM, SO HE CALLED THE F.B.I. THEY REFERRED HIM BACK TO THE LAS VEGAS POLICE DEPT. ONLINE SCAM DIVISION ( OR SOME OTHER EQUALLY NAMED DIVISION) AND, TO THIS DAY, 6 MONTHS LATER, IT APPEARS THAT ORGANIZED CRIME HAS MADE OFF WITH HIS $4000! HE HAS NOT RECEIVED ANY PHONE CALLS FROM ANYBODY AND NOW CONSIDERS IT A LESSON LEARNED!!
     SO, I WOULD SAY TO THE READER, "LET THE BUYER BEWARE"--"THE ENEMY SNEAKS AROUND LIKE A ROARING LION, SEEKING WHOM HE MAY DEVOUR".
     WE ARE VERY SAD THAT THIS HAPPENED, AND BY THE WAY , EBAY HAS ABSOLUTELY NO RECORD OF THE LISTING OR THE TRANSACTION, AND CONSIDERS THAT IT DID NOT HAPPEN!!!
BEFORE YOU BUY ON EBAY (AND I REALLY LIKE EBAY AND ENJOY USING IT), PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THEY CANNOT DO MUCH IF YOU ARE SCAMMED.
     I HAVE ONLY HAD 1 BAD EXPERIENCE ON EBAY, AND AS I SAW IT GOING BAD, I MADE IT HAPPEN AND HAVE THE ITEM IN MY POSSESSION NOW---AND I WENT 250 MILES TO GET IT!!
CRIMINALS ARE EVERYWHERE AND ARE SMARTER AND SLICKER THAN THE POLICE. WE DON'T THINK OF CRIMINALS AS SMART ENOUGH TO MANIPULATE COMPANIES, BUT, THEY ARE THE DEFINITION OF "SMART"!!! IT'S THEIR JOB AND THEY DO IT WELL.---  AT THE EXPENSE OF HARD WORKING PEOPLE IN ALL RANKS OF LIFE.

JERRY LANDIS