RE: IML: As my first question to the sage advisors on the IML- would the

RE: IML: As my first question to the sage advisors on the IML- would the '64Imperial on ebay now be a good buy?

David Whitney <hazegreen66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So be choosy, young Imperialist, and learn from us who have gone before.  When we're gone, you'll be giving similar advice.
I think David's comments are right on the mark.

I'll just add that I bought my first Imperial when I was 16 -- http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1971/Scott/index.htm

I paid $375 for the car in 1988.  At the tender age of 16, I had big plans for a nice Imperial, and thought this car would be just the ticket.  18 years later, I still have plenty of little projects for this car, although all of the major stuff has been done.

Don't even ask how much money I have spent on this car.  I don't know, and I'd probably have a stroke if I did.  I expect I could have bought a couple of NICE Imperials for what I've put into this car over the past 18 years.

If I found exactly the same car today, I would look at it as a $375 parts car.  There's no way I would attempt to put the same amount of time, effort, blood (have the scars to prove it!) and money into a similar car.

The flip side of all this is that this car has been an excellent learning experience for me.  Since the car was in such poor shape when I got it, I've had to learn how to do darn near everything that can be done to an Imperial.  Because of all the work I've done on this car, I'm much more knowledgeable about cars in general (and learn more every time I work on a car).  I also have a better knowledge of what to look for now when I consider buying another Imperial.

I have no regrets for all the "adventures" I've had with my '71 Imperial.  But I sure would want to warn any other 16 year old who's considering purchasing an imperial that you want to go into any project like this with a realistic idea of what to expect.  As my Grandmother regularly reminds me, it keeps me out of the pool hall.  ;o)

Good luck!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

The Imperial Bookshelf - Repair/Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More!

My Collection of Imperials
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
1970 Imperial LeBaron