RE: IML: As my first question to the sage advisors on the IML-would the

RE: IML: As my first question to the sage advisors on the IML-would the '64Imperial on ebay now be a good buy?

Do yourself a BIG favor and don't rush into any old car purchase, Imperial or otherwise!  There are plenty of Engel-designed '64-66 Imperials out there, arguably in better outward appearance than this one.  You need to inspect any car personally, or have a trusted acquaintance or service do it if the car isn't located near you.  That is, unless you don't mind tackling lots of repairs just to get the car on the road and be driveable.

Any old car, regardless of make, is going to need more work than you expect even if it appears to be pristine.  I speak from experience, probably that which many of those in the IML can relate.

First example: My first venture into the collectible car realm was in 1993, when I found a '72 Buick Riviera boattail (like one I had in high school some 15 years earlier) about 40 miles from DC.  It was in the back of a barn, blocked in by about 20 other antique cars.  I wasn't able to drive it, and the battery was dead, but I was smitten because it looked virtually identical to my high school car, had only 65,000 miles, and was the sought-after GS high-performance model.  $1500 later, it was mine, and the nightmare began.  Starting with a complete brake overhaul, then the exhaust system, the air conditioning, and extensive carburetor work.  The timing chain broke and left me stranded, and then I found that the engine bearings were worn and the head gasket was shot, leaking coolant into the oil.  A rebuild was in the cards (probably $5000 at the time), and I hadn't even begun to address the bondo and rust which was worse than I expected, so I bailed.  All told, I had had sunk $4500 in repairs into it and sold it for $1000.  Best move I ever made - getting rid of that bucket of bolts, even at a monumental loss!  Little did I know that that is more the rule with old cars than the exception.  You'll never even break even, much less come out ahead.

In 1999 I finally recovered financially and emotionally, and got my '59 Imperial.  That's a whole 'nother tale I won't get into because it's not germane to my examples.  Between 2001 and 2004, I got another '72 Riviera, then a '65 Bonneville, and finally a '66 Imperial.  All were in MUCH better condition than that first Riviera, or even the '59 Imperial, but all have needed work to keep them running, and that work doesn't come cheap.  The '66 Imperial, for instance, was a well-maintained California car, and cosmetically she didn't need anything.  But right off the bat, I had to get the front end rebuilt, extensive brake work, rear axle seals & bearings, and other more minor stuff.  I got a good deal on the car, but the work that it needed which wasn't readily apparent to my friends who checked it out, added about 50% to the purchase price.  In the past two years, she has required new tires and an air conditioning rebuild and other maintenance repairs.  I enjoy the car, but the point is that even the nicest example is going to need something, which will either be expensive, or require a lot of work on your part if you can (and want to) do it yourself.

My suggestion is to take your time and find the best car you can afford.  Without personally seeing the '64 Imperial you found, I would make these observations: "seems to run real well" doesn't give me the warm & fuzzies.  With at least 3 flat tires, the car was likely pulled onto that trailer.  When was the last time it was on the road? [Love that phrase, "ran when parked".  Sure it did, back in 1980!]  Running and driving are two very different things.  $1800 may seem like a deal, but trust me, plan on at least that much again in mechanical work, never mind the transportation cost in getting it from Nebraska to B'ham.  And God knows what the interior looks like (no pictures and "needs work") - hmmm?

And with regard to the demo derby issue: as much as you want to, you can't save all of them.  Risking making too many assumptions, as you're in high school, you probably have limited time and possibly resources to put into an old car.  Think how pleased your folks would be when this car ends up needing scads of work to get and keep it running, and winds up being a stranded eyesore in their driveway!

Another eBay car is this Crown Coupe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/chrysler-crown-imperial-coupe-440-mopar-NO-reserve_W0QQitemZ4628532642QQcategoryZ43905QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#mainImage

It looks in much better shape and likely would need fewer repairs.  Flashier car, one you'd probably not be as frustrated with repair-wise.  More expensive initially, but likely less so in the long run.

Here's another example, also in SoCal:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/9/2/83478792.htm

While no indication of the car's true condition, I see a nice house and a decent-looking vintage Buick and Fleetwood in the background, so the owner probably has the wherewithall to keep the Imperial maintained.  Same other comments as the '66 Crown Coupe on eBay.

Good luck in your search!

Neal Herman
Washington, DC
1959 Imperial Crown