IML: fuel pump questions 62-63

I've used a simple trick to reinstall a pushrod operated fuel pump.  Take a fingerful of wheel bearing grease and reach in and get as much as you can onto the pushrod.  You can then push the rod back up out of the way where the gooey grease will keep it out of the way long enough to maneuver the pump into place.  You can also turn the engine so that the rod retracts further against the cam, thus not having to fight to compress the pump as you install it.
I'd add that I had a fuel supply problem with a freshly rebuilt 413 a few years ago that turned out to be the pushrod.  Somehow,  it had ground down on the new cam and became too short to work the pump.  Of course, it was about the last thing one would suspect or find after changing several pumps.
Cheers,
Roger